Thursday, November 22, 2007

A note to parents...

Mrs. McGuilakudy
Parents, you are key in the process of tapping into your child's desire and natural abilities to becoming the creative human being that they are meant to be.
I know this for certain, because my mother brought my three siblings and me up in a 100% imagination saturated atmosphere. I remember loving rainy days, because it meant spending the day inside with my mother and all of her fun ideas. One of my mom's crazy creations was her character, 'Mrs. McGuilakudy'. She would go into the front hall closet and put on my dad's top coat and hat. When she emerged, she would change her entire persona, and she would become Mrs. McGuilakudy. This thrilled my sisters, brother and me! We loved Mrs. McGuilakudy! I will never forget that. She also helped us put on Plays, costumes and all. (I remember doing, "The Three Billy Goats Gruff"). When my sisters and I played Barbies, it wasn't about changing clothes and brushing hair. We would make up elaborate stories and each doll had a role to play. We would transform the entire living room into a scene. We would do this for hours. By the time we were done, we practically had a movie script!
As a direct result of our upbringing, my brother, sisters and I all ended up in the Arts, to one degree or another.
None of us, or even anybody that I know, are going to be the next Balanchine, Picasso or Shakespeare, but everybody has an inventive side. Creativity does not have show itself in the arts alone. Most people think of a physicist as highly intelligent person, not necessarily as a creative person. But, look at Einstein! He was a physicist. He combined his intellectual side with his inovative side and the man was ingenious! The two components, together, equal excellence.
Do not leave your right brain as uncharted territory, or you will never know the depths of your own originality. So, explore your creative side, parents. It's never too late. Then, do fun and inspiring things with your children. They will remember it forever, and they will inadvertently pass it on to the next generation.

3 comments:

Dini said...

Ahhh...Mrs. McGillicutty! One of my favorite memories. Kimmy does this now with my kids playing "good teacher bad teacher". Love this post!

Dini said...

I forgot to say that you were the one who taught me to have an imagination when it came to playing barbies. You would sit with me for hours playing, helping me make up names for the dolls and stories to play. You were the best big sister to me!

Nancy said...

A great blog. We enjoyed it so much tonight. Your writing is so good and professional. Keep up the good work.